For questions and/or videos on Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy, please visit the links below:
APPLYING AND GETTING USED TO BREATHING WITH PROVENT THERAPY
HOW PROVENT THERAPY WORKS
Provent Therapy, for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, works by increasing the pressure in the airway, which helps prevent the collapse of the airway while you sleep. This pressure is telling you that the device is working. The feeling of pressure in the airway can be uncomfortable at first. Relax! This is normal and may take time to get used to. The steps below can help you apply and get used to wearing the device before and during sleep.
5 SIMPLE STEPS TO APPLY THE PROVENT DEVICE
Correct placement of the Provent device is critical. We recommend using a mirror.
- Clean and dry the area around your nostrils. Do not put any lotion on your nostril area.
- Grasp the small tab on the device and gently peel it off the backing.
- Stretch your upper lip downward as if shaving.
- Using a mirror, align the center oval mesh with your nostril.
- Point the tab on the adhesive up, toward your eye.
- Once aligned, press down gently on adhesive to create a seal.
- Make sure that there are no folds or creases that let air out.
- Run you finger around the adhesive to ensure a good seal.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Check for proper fit.
- Make sure each nostril is covered with the device.
- Ensure that the adhesive doesn’t cover the mesh of the device in the other nostril.
- Cover mesh of both devices with your fingers and gently exhale through your nose to confirm the seal. You should not feel air escaping around the device.
- Breathe out through your mouth until you fall asleep.
Put the devices on just before going to sleep. Breathe out through your mouth. After falling asleep, most people will automatically breathe through their nose.
5 STEPS TO HELP GET USED TO PROVENT THERAPY
Provent Therapy may take up to a week or longer to “get used to.” The device works by making it harder to breathe out through your nose, which creates the pressure needed to treat your Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It may require several nights of use to feel comfortable breathing with the device. These steps will help you get used to wearing the Provent device before and during sleep.
- Inhale through your mouth or through the device — whichever is more comfortable for you to fall asleep.
- To check if the device is applied correctly, briefly try breathing out through your nose. You will notice resistance. This is normal and means the device is working.
- Now until you fall asleep, only breathe out through your mouth. This should be more comfortable than breathing through your nose.
- Most people will switch to nasal breathing after they fall asleep and the device will start to work.
- Put on the devices right before bed and breathe out through your mouth as you fall asleep.
- Do not engage in any activity while wearing the device — just try to fall asleep.
- Keep a glass of water near your bedside, in case you wake up with a dry mouth.
- Take time to get used to wearing Provent Therapy.
- Use all Provent devices provided in your first pack.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is a chronic condition that requires treatment every night, so make Provent Therapy a part of your bedtime routine.
- Remember, it may take a few nights of wearing Provent Therapy to get used to it. Stick with it!
Getting used to wearing a device that affects your breathing may take time (one night to a week or longer). Remove the device if you wake up during the night and feel uncomfortable. This may happen for several nights until you become used to wearing the device.
To order Provent, click on the link below, print, and bring to your doctor for completion.